Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Headaches, Pathology report, 3 Day Breast Cancer Walk

It's been 13 days following my surgery and I'm still experiencing daily nausea and headaches (light headedness). Some days are more intense than others. I saw Dr. Dawson on Thursday, January 15th. I didn't feel especially well that day. I felt lightheaded and fatigued when I arrived at her office. The nurse took my blood pressure and it was low (70/58) for me. My blood pressure is usually 115/70. I began to have a hotflash and was very willing to put on the blue robe that they provided.

Dr. Dawson removed my drains and suggested that I try to increase my intake of fluid and foods. This, she thought could be the reason for my low blood pressure. She told me that the surgery went well and that my stitches looked good. I knew she'd say that! Several days before my visit to Dr. Dawson, my sister removed the tape and bandage from my chest; I was hesitant to remove the tape because I didn't want to see it. Well, my curiousity got the best of me, I looked at myself in the mirror and I couldn't believe what I saw; it was hideous and I cried. She took the whole thing!

I asked Dr. Dawson why she thought my masectomy looked good because I didn't see what she saw. She said, "the color of your skin looks good, there is no sign of infection and the stitching is smooth. And she reminded me that I'm going to have reconstruction.

She discussed the pathology report of my tissue taken at the time of the surgery. My breast cancer was confirmed at Stage III. I had two tumors in my breast. The larger one which we already knew about 4.3cm and a second one that had not been identified measuring 1cm. A total of 29 lymph nodes were removed and of the 29, 5 were positive for metastasis (malignant).

I have an office visit with my oncologist, Dr. Fer, tomorrow and he should provide me with information on when he'll begin my chemotherapy. I predict he will begin in 2 weeks. Chemotherapy will last for 4 months which will be followed by 6 weeks (5 days/week) of radiation. In addition to this, I will use Naturopathic Medicine modalities to help with the side effects of chemo and radiation. Acupuncture will help with nausea, fatigue, chemo brain, and skin redness/burn from radiation.

As I mentioned in my first posting, this is were the work will begin for me. I need to put my hiking boots on and get ready for the climb of my life. My friends will not allow me to drift into self-pity. Thanks to Linda Alva, Becca, and Joy for supporting me in my many Dr. visits. Linda and I would eat in Seattle after every Dr. visit and that was a blast. I want to give thanks to all my friends for the cards, telephone calls/messages, blog comments and e-mails. And a big thank you to my friends that have prepared meals for me in these last few weeks. Your kindness, love and support inspires me. My dad and Tina are die hards, they call me everyday to check-in with me.

Two of my friends, Theresa and Jean are training and fundraising for the Seattle Breast Cancer 3 Day Walk benefitting Susan G. Komen for the Cure. They are walking on my behalf. I don't think I can walk it this year, but I will be at the finish line for them. If you'd like to make a donation, (they have to each raise $2500), post your interest on this blog and one of them will contact you.

2 comments:

  1. Hey babe, we are all here for you! Even when you can't stand tall, we'll be holding you up in spirit. Just take a moment to feel us, we are all there with you! Love and kisses to you and the furr beasts :) JD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deb,
    It seems like so long since we've talked.

    I got my packet for the 3-Day in the mail the other day. I must raise $2,300.00 or I cannot do the walk. Is your friend Theresa doing the walk in Seattle? If she is, have her contact me.

    I hope you are doing well emotionally and spiritually as well as physically.

    I love you, I will talk to you soon.

    Love, Jean

    ReplyDelete