Friday, March 27, 2009

What is Bastyr Integrative Oncolgoy Research Clinic?

The information below was e-mailed to the Bastyr Community and I thought you might be interested in my participation in this research. This study addresses a missing link that exist in Western/Traditional medicine; Naturopathic medicine compliments western medicine by looking at the whole person which includes mind and spirit. With each day, I feel that my mind and spirit are healing (as is my physical) and as a result I am hopeful that I can beat this thing.

Side note: Seeking prayer request for my father, Noel, he was recently diagnosed with cancer, he had surgery two weeks ago and they believed they got it all. He is 83 and when I talk to him on the phone I can tell he's getting tired. He sleeps a lot in his recliner. I hope to visit him in late April. The thought of losing my father makes me very sad and would be a crushing blow. For now though, I am living very much in the moment, taking each day as it comes and doing what's in front of me to do. That truly is all that my mind can handle.
___________________________________________________________________


Bastyr University is pleased to announce the opening of the Bastyr Integrative Oncology Research Clinic (BIORC). This research clinic was developed through a grant from Cleavage Creek Cellars, producers of world class wines and contributor of 10 percent of gross sales to fight breast cancer.

Bastyr University’s Integrative Oncology Clinic outpatient facility provides naturopathic and traditional Chinese medicine treatment and integrated management of cancer patients. The new clinic offers patients comprehensive support and treatment for each stage of their experience, from diagnosis to treatment decisions, and restoration of immune function and health after the completion of standard treatment. Providers include Steve Given, L.Ac., DAOM (traditional Chinese medical oncology), Brad Lichtenstein, ND (mind-body medicine), Eric Yarnell, ND (prostate cancer), and Leanna Standish, ND, PhD, L.Ac., FABNO (naturopathic oncology and clinic director). Therapeutic approaches include mind/body medicine, qi gong, yoga, acupuncture, botanical and nutritional medicine. Clinic doctors will communicate with each patient’s medical and radiation oncologists to ensure truly integrated care.

We are very grateful to Cleavage Creek for making the new Bastyr Integrative Oncology Research Clinic possible. We also appreciate the assistance provided by the staff from Bastyr Center for Natural Health in setting up this new satellite clinic.

All patients with cancer diagnoses who receive treatment and care at the Bastyr Integrative Oncology Research Clinic will be asked to participate in the ongoing research study to monitor clinical and quality of life outcomes. Call 425.602.3311 to schedule an appointment. For more information, see our website at http://biorc.bastyr.edu

Timothy C. Callahan, PhD
Senior Vice President and Provost
Bastyr University
425-602-3110

No comments:

Post a Comment