Monday, March 9, 2009

Chemo Experience #2

Treatment #2
This experience was far less traumatic than my first treatment. I had come prepared and as a result, I felt calm and at peace. I had taken a long walk before treatment (the farthest I've walked since before surgery) I brought some CDs for my listening pleasure. As I listened to my Indian flutes CD, I visualized the river at the cabin, and Mt. Tatoosh. It's peak was almost entirely covered with snow and the evergreen trees on its mountain side were gently sprinkled with snow - looked like powdered sugar. I also listened a meditation tape. Before I started listening to my CDs, Tina massaged my feet; it felt wonderful!

Day 1 (fri) - felt pretty good and had some energy - must be the steroid pills. The steroid pills do make me a bit anxious and on edge. I feel as though I have to be doing something and I try, but I tend to run around in circles from room to room; my mind is fuzzy, difficult to recall words and my motor skills seem slow. I especially notice this when I'm texting on my phone.

Tina and I had lunch after treatment then she drove me to get my head shaved. I had several balding spots and my hair was falling out like crazy. It was more disturbing for me to see my hair falling out in the sink, on my pillow case, and anytime I ran my fingers through it. I was ready and up to the task of baldness. I watched as the stylist shaved my head and I actually liked it. The shape of my head is to not to bad, no protruding bumps or scars. Overall, I'm pretty content with it. When Tina dropped me off, I went for another long walk.

Day 2 (sat)- taste buds gone, woke up with headache, dry mouth, throat hurts and diminished appetite. Energy level was pretty good- tried to get things done around the house since in the coming days I predicted that I would be useless on part of day 3, and all of day 4and 5.

I attended the free beginning drumming class (African drums) that I signed up for through Cancer Lifeline. I really enjoyed myself. I laughed and chuckled inside because my hands were doing something other than what I wanted. I missed the beats many times, but the instructor and the women in the class were very patient and kind. I never played really played a musical instrument as a child, but I thought music would be very healing for me. Sometimes you just gotta get out there take risks and have fun.

Later that day, Meoka (my daughter), came to visit. We hung out together on the couch at healthy pizza and watched movies. It was very comforting and relaxing to spend time with her. Meoka and I had not spoken for a little over a year, and she called me within days before I knew that I had cancer. In addition to my physical healing from the surgery, my heart is healing as well. Gods timing is perfect!

Day 3 (sun) - woke up with headache, sore and dry throat, had tingling lips throughout the day, still loss of taste buds and lack of appetite. Neck pain began to surface towards evening. The side effects of chemo appear to be on the same track as my first treatment. I took a long walk in the morning and a shorter one in the afternoon with Linda and Meoka. Shortly thereafter, fatigue set in. Although my appetite is reduced, I am making myself eat. I understand the importance of feeding my good cells. My portion size is very small, so I'm trying to eat 4-5 meals per day and drink water throughout day.

Day 4 (mon) - not much energy - took dogs out to go potty, but didn't walk very far, feeling tired, slight pounding headache, dry throat, tingling lips, and no appetite. Made myself drink a friut smoothie that Krisitin (roommate) made for me.

My friend Janelle from Olympia will be here today and will stay through Wed; she'll take me to Dr. appts, take care of me and the pups. I'm trying to find the right balance between my prescription pain meds and over the counter pain relief. My oncologist encouraged me to do this. I don't want to feel the pain of chemo on my joints and muscles, and I can't be knocked out either because of Dr. appts today, tomorrow and Wed. Thank goodness I'm not driving.

March 18, 2009
Day 5 (tues) - Day 10
no change in side effects. similar to what I experienced in the previous days.

No comments:

Post a Comment