Friday, March 27, 2009

The Morning Before Chemo #3

Hola and Buenos Dias,

As of today, I will have completed 50% of my treatment. Whew! 3 treatments down and 3 more to go.

The last 4-5 days have been good cancer days. I have felt good, had a little more energy, did a little reading, attended beginning African drumming class, and Qi Gong. About 90% of my taste buds returned - food never taste so good. I indulged in sweets a little more than I should have. I'd like to say it is becasue I'm pre-menstraul. Speaking of menstruation, I have noticed some slight changes with it. Blood flow last month was irregular and I am experiencing hot/cold flashes 2-3 times per week. My oncologist told me that chemotherapy could kick me into early menopause. I'm not sure what I think about that. Initally, I didn't want my body to go into early menapause - I didn't care for the fact that chemo drugs would alter my body in that way. It's so unnatural; I've also heard and read the horror stories of menopause - hot flashes, vaginal dryness, cranky and moodyness. I'm sure my menopausal friends could add more. I"ll have to do some reading on menopause and ask my ND what approaches can be taken to minimize side affects. In time, I'm certain that I will come to accept and embrace the change in my body. Any healing will require that my mind, body and spirit are in alignment.

I am still walking twice each day, yet I may be doing a little to much. Usually after my 45 minute walk, I feel fatigued and need to take a nap. Dr. Zucker, from the Active Program at Swedish, suggested that I may be overprescribing (the walking) and he directed me to listen more closely to my body. He suggested that I shorten the length of time so as not to become fatiguee. My endurance will come back (not fast enough) and I just need to be patient with myself. I did some exciting activities things this week.

On Sunday morning, I went for a hike with 2 of my friends (Tina and Linda Alva) in the North Bend area. Linda selected a flat trail that was easy - it may be sometime before I can hike a trail with any elevation sigh : ( It was a cloudy and cold day; we encountered a little rain and snow on the ground, yet it felt wonderful to be walking in nature and enhaling the fresh cool air - taking in the ENERGY. I guestimate that we walked 3 miles. I was very tired when I returned home and took a very long nap. I think I overdid it. Tina and Linda were very supportive and they told me that when I need to turn back just let them know. After our hike, we went to grab a bite to eat.

On Monday, Krisitn (my fabulous roommate) and I went for a bike ride to the bookstore. It was so much fun being on my bicylce again. On the ride back from the bookstore, I slowly began to run out of juice (energy). My heart was working hard and I experienced shortness of breath.
I think I came home and took a nap. Love my naps.....

Wishing each of you health from your cells to your spirit.
Love Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment