Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I'm 25% through my Treatment

Dr. Standish, my ND, said she likes to look at things from the positive side. She told me last visit that I've completed 25% of my treatment. I like her viewpoint. I have six treatments and I've completed 2. I though about it in terms of months - I won't be done with chemo until June. It sounded like such a long time.

Future Chemo Treatment Dates
March 27
April 17
May 8
May 29
Appt. dates for radiation not set yet, but it will be for 6 weeks/ 5 days per week.

I don't know if I mentioned it in a previous blog, but I will be returning to school for Spring Qtr. I will only enroll in one class (not to difficult) and I will do an independent study with Dr. Leanna Standish. I will meet with Dr. Standish on Friday to discuss the details and nature of my work in the Bastyr Oncology Research Clinic (BORC). I am a current participant in the BORC. Next blog I will explain the the study of the BORC. I can tell you that it is integration medicine between Swedish, Fred Hutch, and Bastyr. It is very healing for me to have the best of both medicines - allopathic and naturopathic. I believe that the quality of my life (mind, body and spirit) will be enhanced - through naturopathic approaches. I look forward to sharing this journey with you.

I was at Curves yesterday (Tuesday) and saw several familiar faces. It was wonderful to see them and exchange hugs. Their encouragement and genuine support warmed my heart and caused the light within me to shine a little brighter. I hope to pay a visit to Curves next week, but I'm not sure the day yet.

Since surgery, I've lost about 15 pounds, but I don't look goulish. I still have another 10-15 pounds that I could safely lose. By no means am I trying to lose weight, it's as a result of the side effects of chemo - loss of appetite, nausea, and taste buds. I'm trying to stay healthy by walking several times each day. Some days, especially following chemo, I can't walk very far - but I do what I can. Other days, I can walk about 30 minutes (its been good for the pups too). My pace is not fast, yet I know that walking is good for my healthy tissues. It's important to raise my heart rate and bring in fresh oxygen into my lungs and cells. I have millions of healthy cells that I want to nurture.

Theresa has told me that she has raised 50% of monies needed for the 3 Day Breast Cancer Walk. This is awesome! Meoka (my daughter) plans to participate in the walk as well. She will be registering soon and will also need to raise $2300 dollars in order to participate. Thank you to those who have donated.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks again Debbie for sharing your life with us. Remember that the steroids will get you jittery, the shakes and very crabby. I am sorry I missed you at Curves and hope to see you soon. As always you are in my heart and in my prayers. Norma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I was so glad to hear that you are taking a class for your ultimate goal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Deb,

    I want you to know I enjoy your blog and look forward to your updates.

    You are in my thoughts and prayers. I admire you.

    Linda Jeffers

    ReplyDelete