Friday, August 7, 2009

I Have Completed Radiation!

After 8.5 long months, I have finished treatment. Although, I will still have regular blood draws and scans quarterly to watch for possible reoccurance.

It came as a surprise to me that I was finished with radiation today. My radiation appts were scheduled through Aug 12, so when my radiologist told me on Wed. that I had only two treatments left, I was pleasantly surprised.

My skin on my chest wall and under my arm (axillary region) is red, dark brown and very tender. The skin directly above my sternum is also very tender. The dry skin under my arm pit has begun peeling and looks to be healing. I will post a picture in a few days. My radiologist says my skin looks exceptional - it must be the seaweed! It sounds like she will recommend the seaweed to her patients. I shared the wonderful moisturizing benefits of seaweed in the radiation waiting room to other cancer patients.

My next healing step is to begin cleansing my body (liver esp.) of the toxins and building up my immune system, cells, tissues and organs to prevent me from having to go thru this again. Dr Standish, will direct me through this process. This is the part that I have been looking forward to. I believe that my medicine (Naturopathic Medicine) will heal me. Stay tuned for this part of the journey.

I have had more energy and I have enjoyed walking, biking and camping. I still struggle with chemo brain, but that will get better in time. Instead of being one french fry short of a happy meal, now I'm two french fries.

Thanks again for the ongoing love and support. It is your love and concern that had motivated me to keep taking baby steps and not give up. My passion for life and living is coming back.

I'm going camping this weekend to enjoy nature. I'll be pitching a tent and cooking on a coleman stove - doesn't get much better than that (unless I'm staying at the cabin). Mark and Meoka will be joining me. Hopefully, we can get a little hike in.

Chat with you soon,
Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment